How to Delete your Instagram Search History? [iPhone & Android]
Instagram as a comprehensive platform saves all the data received from its users to improve the suggestion for them with its great algorithm. And Instagram users can clear them whenever they want.
Some people want to keep their data on their Instagram account, but others want them to be clean.
All the platforms on the internet track and record your activity using their algorithm and artificial intelligence to guess your favorite topics people and suggest more of them.
Your Instagram search history gives a clue to the Instagram algorithm about what you are looking for, what you like, and who you like.
If you want to delete and clear your Instagram search history from time to time and preserve your privacy online, in the following part, we have mentioned some ways you can do that. So let’s dive in.
What is Instagram search history, and how does it work?
Like other social forums, Instagram keeps and saves all the data received from your searches, and it is called your search history.
Now the question is, why Instagram, and all the social platforms, do that?
- The first reason is because of the user itself. You can keep track of your own Instagram search history if you need to see hashtags or accounts you’ve searched for, for example, in the last month.
- The second reason is a win-win situation. It is both for you and the platform itself. Instagram can make suitable suggestions for profiles, hashtags, and even posts you see on the explore part.
- The third and last reason is to improve the ads on your feed based on your interests and searches.
Why you need to delete your Instagram search history? Is it necessary?
As your browser history, your search history on Instagram gives lots of information about your interests. Many users want to hide their search history and keep it private, just because they feel uncomfortable.
On the other hand, you might have liked something in the past, and now you don’t want to see its suggestions on your explore.
So if you are receiving suggestions about the topics you’re no longer interested in, you can clear your Instagram search history to reset Instagram’s tracking activities.
How to clear your Instagram search history? For iPhone and Android
You can delete your search history on Instagram in 2 ways. Both of them are easy. We are mentioning them in the following section.
- Go to your profile by tapping on your profile picture.
- Tap the 3 lines menu on the top right section.
- Find Settings.
- Tap on Security.
- Scroll down to find “Clear Search History” (for iPhone users) or Search History (for Android users).
- Finally, Tap Clear All, then select “Clear All” to confirm.
How to clear your Instagram search history? For your desktop
Follow the steps below to clear your Instagram search on your desktop.
- On your Instagram profile, click on the “Settings” icon,
- In that section, you can find “Privacy and Security,”
- After that, click on “View Account Data.”
- You can see “Search History,”
- Finally, click on “View All.” and you’ll have the option to delete your Instagram search history.
As I mentioned above, you can clear your search history on the Instagram app using 2 ways. The other way is to delete it one by one, which can be a bit boring. But if you want to clear specific data and keep the rest, this option suits you.
- On your explore page, tap on the magnifying glass on the screen to open your search bar. From there, you can delete your searches one by one, by tapping on the x next to each.
Now they no longer are in the search bar, and if you open it, there I nothing you can see.
A notable point: Instagram says that if you clear your search history, there is no guarantee that you will never see them again, and this omission is temporary.
On the whole:
If you want to keep your information on your account, you can use the second way to delete some of them, but if you want to clear all of them, the first option works well for you.
What is your favorite option? Do you want to delete and clear your search history on Instagram?
If you have ever done that, please share with us what happened next? We are waiting to hear from you.