How to Search for Messages on Instagram Direct Section? (on iPhone & Android)
The Instagram direct section has all you need for an excellent conversation experience. This platform has provided all the great options to chat with your friends and followers.
Instagram offers you all the great features you need to chat and make conversation except one! And that tool is a “search chat.”
If you are an Instagram user and use the direct section to communicate with your palls, you might have thought about the absence of this great option.
Well, should we grin and bear it, or are there any solutions? What would you do when you want to search for a specific message on Instagram? Here we have brought a genius solution for this problem.
We can’t use third-party apps for this aim because of Instagram’s privacy policies. So we have two great options to offer! We won’t let you wait any longer. Let’s dive into this topic right away.
How can you search Instagram messages in the direct section?
There are two methods you can search for a message on Instagram. But they can be a bit challenging. We mention all of them in the following part, so you can choose one as you wish to search for a specific message in your direct section.
Search message on Instagram direct section with Chrome browser:
This is my favorite method, and it is the easiest way. As you know, Chrome browser has a search tool to search things on any web page.
So we use this benefit to search on our Instagram direct section. iPhone’s users, don’t be worried! I got you, too. IOS users can use the Safari browser to search on their direct section.
So for this, you need to open Chrome or Safari and log in to your Instagram account. Then head to your direct section.
In the following section, we have a complete guide for you, so check it out:
- On your android device, open the Chrome browser. iPhone users can use Safari on their phones.
- On Instagram’s official website, log in to your Instagram account.
- Now on your feed, head to the direct section to see your recent chats.
- Open the specific chat you want to search for something on it by clicking on its username.
- It would be best to keep scrolling the chat to load all the messages. This will make a better search result.
- To search for a message, all you need to do is tap on the dots in the upper right of the Chrome browser. And if your browser is Safari, click on the share button.
- Swipe up the share window on your Safari browser and tap on “Find on Page.” for android devices; you have to click on the “Find in Page” option.
- Now type a message you want to find on the chat. The browser highlights all the found texts you have searched in yellow color.
- There are up or down arrows; use them to switch to the previous text message.
This is one of the easiest methods to search texts in your direct section. You don’t need to download any additional applications and give access to them.
Still, the only drawback is that you need to make sure all the messages are already uploaded, so you can find the text you are searching for. So let’s move on to other methods you can use to find texts in the direct section.
Search message on Instagram direct section with downloading data:
As previously mentioned, Instagram allows you to download all your data and have it on your phone. This data also includes your chats. After downloading the data, you can search using text editor applications.
To comprehend the process easier, we will tell you how to download data in this part. But we have discussed it thoroughly as one of the ways to see your old Deleted Instagram Posts. So if you are interested, check this link too. Let’s begin.
To download the Instagram data on your phone, follow the steps below:
- Head to the Instagram app and go to your profile page.
- Tap on the menu in the upper right corner and find “Setting.”
- Now find security and tap on it. You can see the “Download Data” option on the opened menu.
- To complete the process, add your email address. Confirm it is the exact email address you have linked with your Instagram account.
- After you are done, tap on “Request Download,” then enter your Instagram passcode for verification.
- After all these processes, Instagram collects all your data, and then it will send you a link to your email address to download.
This process might take longer, up to 48 hours, so you need to be patient while Instagram prepares the data.
- After receiving the data on your email, tap on it and download the ZIP file on your phone. It contains all your account data, such as your photos, comments, messages, and other information.
Now that you have downloaded all your information, you can search for anything you are looking for.
How do you search messages on the Instagram direct section after downloading data?
After pulling out all the files from the zip file, you will see all the various files in it, which are in JSON format.
How to extract the zip file? Most file managers provide this feature, but you can download a third-party app if you don’t have it.
You need to look for the “messages.json” file in the text editor. It contains all your Instagram chats. Then use the search feature in the text editor tool to find the conversation you are looking for.
If the JSON format is hard to read, you can search for a tool that converts all your data into a well-organized hierarchical format.
Some crucial points you need to pay attention to:
- The data you have downloaded from Instagram doesn’t contain the deleted messages. If you have deleted a chat in the past or even recently, it won’t be on your data.
- You can’t go to the top of a chat on Instagram, and if you want to search and see the first message, the only way is the downloaded data.
These are the points that are better to know while doing these processes to search for a specific message on Instagram.
To briefly paraphrase
These are the most common ways to search and find a specific text on Instagram. If you don’t need all your data, the first method using Chrome or Safari is better. But if you think it is not that bad to have all your information, you can pick the second method.
Instagram is a great app to chat and communicate, and this is why most users use this app to text their friends and followers. So no wonder keeping texts and searching them is an important issue.
Please share your opinions on this topic. If you have used any other ways to search for a message on Instagram, please share them with us below.